Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Peer Feedback: Valuing Student Experts

Sackstein (2017) argues that peer feedback enhances learning for both the student providing feedback and the student receiving feedback (p. 4). He argues that if all students were empowered to give meaningful feedback to each other, less students would be sitting and waiting for teacher direction and more students would be taking responsibility for their own learning and demonstrating self-advocacy (Sackstein, 2017, pp. 11-13). Over years of teaching experience Sackstein (2017) discovered that “student-to-student feedback is often received more positively than teacher-to-student feedback” (pp. 3-4). Sackstein (2017) encourages teachers to shift their mentality from the teacher as the expert to a room full of experts of different things, with students as the experts, facilitators and leaders (p. 14). Sackstein (2017) warns that without clear expectations and teacher follow-through, peer feedback may breakdown (p. 14). However, with these teacher supports, student may be able to reach higher levels of learning and mastery.

In my fourth grade classroom, students work with partners or triads in all subjects. Yesterday, I listened in on a peer conference at the end of our writing lesson. Students were directed to share their “quick write” (using a newly learned pre-writing technique) with their writing partner. The partner was expected to listen by facing their partner and then respond with “I like …”. The pair of students I observed included one student who is writing at expected fourth grade level and one student with barely legible handwriting. When the second partner could not read his own handwriting, the student listener stepped right in. “I can tell you were writing about something important to you,” he began, “because you are excited about reading it to me and you wrote a lot more words than I’ve seen you write before”. This was by far a better response (and more positive) than I could have generated in that moment. This interaction is an excellent example of how peer feedback can be used to help empower both students with their learning.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t always go as smoothly as yesterday. Last week, students worked in triads to brainstorm ideas and creatively design our class mission statement. Student triads were given a large piece of paper and markers to show their thinking. After all groups put their ideas to paper, I encouraged students to move around the room and provide other peer groups with feedback on sticky notes. While the feedback was valuable from my perspective, most students complained that the sticky notes they received were “mean”. I looked at the feedback and didn’t agree. Notes like “add more color” and “you used the same word three times” provided valuable feedback from my perspective. I realized that I hadn’t prepared my students to receive critical feedback and their expectations were that they had already achieved perfection.

After exploring Stackstein’s suggestions and reflecting on peer feedback in my classroom over the last week, I am inspired to allow students more opportunities to provide their peers with feedback. I am reminded that clear expectations and teacher follow-through are necessary components to ensure that this process is valuable for all learners. I wonder how I can incorporate peer feedback into my spring feedback and motivation study. I will consider what expectations I will need to explicitly teach my students to ensure that this peer feedback is most valuable for all learners and has the greatest positive effect on students' motivation for future learning.

Reference
Sackstein, S. (2017). Peer feedback in the classroom: Empowering students to be the experts. Alexandria, VA, USA: ASCD.


No comments:

Post a Comment